NATIONAL STUDY: Holy Cross Hospital Receives the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award for the 7th Year in a Row (2007-2013)
Healthgrades Study Finds Patients Treated at Hospitals Receiving 5 Stars are 61% Less Likely to Experience a Major Complication
Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Holy Cross Hospital today announced that it is among the top 5% in the nation for Overall Orthopedics for the 7th year in a row (2007-2013) and Joint Replacement for the 8th year in a row (2005-2013). Healthgrades is the leading provider of information to help consumers make an informed decision about a physician or hospital. This recognition is part of new findings released today in American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, which evaluates the performance of approximately 4,500 hospitals nationwide across nearly 30 procedures and conditions. A 5-star quality measurement indicates that Holy Cross Hospital’s clinical performance is better than expected.
Healthgrades bases its objective hospital quality measures solely on clinical performance and updates them annually, free to the public. The 2013 performance outcomes are now available at www.healthgrades.com.
Holy Cross, a non-profit hospital, is also a recipient of the following Healthgrades accolades:
• One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery™ for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement™ for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Ranked #4 in FL for Cardiac Surgery in 2013
• Ranked Among the Top 5 in FL for Cardiac Surgery in 2013 (Ranked 4 in 2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Valve Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure in 2013
• Recipient of the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award™ for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013)
• Recipient of the Healthgrades Joint Replacement Excellence Award™ for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for 6 Years in a Row (2008-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Joint Replacement for 8 Years in a Row (2006-2013)
• Ranked #8 in FL for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2013
• Ranked #3 in FL for Joint Replacement in 2013
• Ranked Among the Top 10 in FL for Overall Orthopedic Services for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013) (Ranked 8 in 2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 5 in FL for Joint Replacement for 8 Years in a Row (2006-2013) (Ranked 3 in 2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Overall Orthopedic Services for 8 Years in a Row (2006-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Joint Replacement for 10 Years in a Row (2004-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Spine Surgery for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 10 Years in a Row (2004-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement for 8 Years in a Row (2006-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 6 Years in a Row (2008-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Back and Neck Surgery (except Spinal Fusion) for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Cholecystectomy in 2013
"We are proud to have some of the best surgeons, physicians, nurses, therapists and staff in our nation at the Holy Cross Orthopedic Institute,” said Holy Cross Hospital President and CEO Patrick A. Taylor, M.D. “Combine that wonderful talent with truly compassionate care and cutting edge technology underscores that we are committed to providing the best orthopedic care in South Florida as well as to patients outside the area who come to Holy Cross specifically for our expertise."
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare hospitalization records for services performed from 2009 through 2011 at approximately 4,500 short-term, acute care hospitals nationwide. Healthgrades found that patients treated in hospitals receiving 5 stars had, on average, 75% lower risk of dying than if they were treated in hospitals receiving 1 star (across 18 common procedures and diagnoses, such as heart bypass surgery, stroke, and pneumonia).
In this year’s report, Healthgrades also analyzed findings over its last five study periods (2005-2011) to provide an overview of trends in hospital quality over a longer period. Among its key findings, Healthgrades found that the nation’s average in-hospital risk-adjusted mortality rate improved 22% for procedures and conditions studied by Healthgrades over the last seven years.
Holy Cross Hospital attributes its staying power on the Healthgrades accolades list to the commitment of its medical team to master leading-edge technology. The Holy Cross Hospital medical team was the first in the world to use MAKOplasty® for partial knee resurfacing and more recently the first to use MAKOplasty® in South Florida for total hip replacement. Pioneers in the use of Ortho Sensor and Tenex Health’s percutaneous tenotomy technology, Holy Cross Hospital also was first to have a shoulder/elbow fellowship, illustrating its strong commitment to education with the only South Florida member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons. Holy Cross surgeons serve on design teams for the latest knee and shoulder implants, again solidifying the hospital’s commitment to innovation.
Healthgrades independently measures hospitals based on data that hospitals submit to the federal government. No hospital can opt in or out of being measured, and no hospital pays to be measured. Healthgrades risk adjusts for patient demographic characteristics and clinical risk factors, thereby taking into account how sick patients are upon hospital admission.
More information on the American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: Healthgrades Report to the Nation, including the complete methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com/quality.
About Holy Cross Hospital
A member of Catholic Health East, Holy Cross Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is a full-service, non-profit Catholic hospital, sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy. Since opening its doors in 1955, the 559-bed hospital has offered progressive services and programs to meet the evolving healthcare needs of Broward County. Today, Holy Cross has more than 600 physicians on staff representing more than 40 specialties and more than 3,000 employees. The hospital is fully accredited by the independent Joint Commission, and its medical team has earned a reputation for excellence unsurpassed in the community. To learn more about Holy Cross, visit www.holy-cross.com, “like” Holy Cross Hospital, Fort Lauderdale on Facebook or follow @holycrossfl on Twitter.