Holy Cross Hospital Receives Top Ratings in Patient Safety From Two National Organizations
Midas+ and the Leapfrog Group
Holy Cross Hospital received recognition from two national organizations that rate patient safety.
Holy Cross Hospital received a grade A Hospital Safety ScoreSM from The Leapfrog Group, an independent national nonprofit run by employers and other large purchasers of health benefits, and also was one of only five hospitals and the only one in Florida with 200 or more beds to receive a Midas+ Platinum Quality Award.
The Hospital Safety Score from The Leapfrog Group was calculated under the guidance of The Leapfrog Group’s Blue Ribbon Expert Panel using publicly available data on patient injuries, medical and medication errors and infections. This marks the first time hospitals across the country have been awarded grades based on how well they perform on measures of patient safety. Only 729 hospitals of more than 2,600 earned an A grade.
To receive the Midas+ Platinum Quality Award, hospitals must score in the 95th percentile in key areas of clinical performance. Holy Cross Hospital scored in the 99th percentile of the hospitals in the Midas+ database. The award is based upon 2011 performance in the Midas+ National Comparative Database for the following key areas of clinical performance:
- Acute care readmission rate within 30 days
- Acute MI All or None Bundle
- Pneumonia All or None Bundle
- Heart Failure All or None Bundle
- SCIP – All measures All-or-none Bundle
- All Acute Care Inpatient LOS and Mortality (severity adjusted using 3M APR DRGs)
- APR DRG 45 – CVA & Precerebral occlusion with infarct LOS and Mortality
- APR DRG 139 – Other Pneumonia LOS and Mortality
- APR DRG 174 – PCI procedures with AMI LOS and Mortality
- APR DRG 194 – Heart Failure LOS and Mortality
- APR DRG 221 – Major small and large bowel procedure LOS and Mortality
- APR DRG 720 – Septicemia & disseminated infections LOS and Mortality
“Receiving these national distinctions for clinical excellence and patient safety is a credit to the entire team here at Holy Cross Hospital,” said Deborah Lambrinos, MSN, RN, Executive Director Quality Management for Holy Cross Hospital. “We pride ourselves on delivering the highest quality healthcare to our patients.”